SimpleBackups is an all-in one backup solution for servers, websites and databases.
Easily connect your server(s) to any storage and schedule your backups the way you need. You also have the option to automate snapshots on your hosting provider for servers and volumes.
To get started, you may need SSH access to your server (depending on your use case), the credentials of your database, and the path(s) of the files/directories you want to back up. Or, for snapshots, you just need to connect your providers to SimpleBackups then you are ready.
All SimpleBackups paid plans include a secure backup storage vault called SimpleStorage. This saves you the hassle of connecting your own storage if you don't want to.
# File & Database Backups
SimpleBackups acts as a management system for your backups, allowing you to configure all your backups in one place and orchestrate schedulers, servers, storage, notifications and resources.
It works as follows:
1. Connect your server, using our one-line command
This command will take care of setting up all what's needed (does NOT require
sudo or root permissions), add the open-source tool (RCLONE) responsible for transferring backup dumps to your preferred storage securely, and broadcast backup information to your SimpleBackups dashboard.
2. Connect your storage (optional)
Bring your storage credentials, we'll validate the connection, and you'll be able to store your backups to this storage moving forward. Note that we also provide a secure storage solution, SimpleStorage, for our paid users.
3. Configure & schedule your backups
Define what you need to back up, whether it's a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis), files or both. Our scheduler allows you to easily define when the backup should run (based on your timezone if needed), at which frequency, and how many backups should to be kept (known as retention).
# Server & Volume Snapshots
1. Connect your provider Either by logging in to your account or using an API token, we provide a step by step guide for each provider.
2. Choose your resources Choose the servers or volumes you need to automate their snapshots after you select a provider.
3. Schedule your snapshot backup job Set the needed schedule, whether you need to take a snapshot of your server or volume every day, every week, every couple of hours, or just on-demand using our API. Then set the number of retained snapshots you need to keep and let us prune the rest for you to save storage space on your provider storage.
# Why not rely on ...
Custom backup scripts and cron jobs
Build your own backup scripts, that you'll schedule on your servers. This works (and we have built a guide for this), but it requires maintenance and takes time to set up.
Using another cloud backup service
Some could be good, some are not, that's why SimpleBackups exists. We focus on making backups simple and automated, not boring, we provide a solution that satisfies requirements we wanted and haven't found in existing solutions.
Using your cloud server provider for server backups/snapshots alone
Very dangerous ☠️ - we urge you not to choose this one alone. Don't rely on what your hosting company provides, having all your eggs in the same basket is not a smart solution when it comes to backups. It is best to combine both, snapshots and backups.